Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Christo and Jeanne-Claude

I don't really think there is a person alive who isn't sort of magically captured by the work of Christo and Jeanne-Claude. The shear magnitude of these works is staggering… and there is such an experiential quality to everything they create.

After my little escapade with street art I think that I really connect more so personally to what these two are doing, even though it is a much harder route to go with having to argue with silly people over permits and permission. In the end you still get to make street art… just sort of sanctioned street art I suppose.

I also think part of the magic of these works is in their ephemeral quality. They aren't going to be there forever, they are here for a time and then they are gone. They really force you to live in the moment and be mindful of that moment because it won't always be there to come back to again… and there is something so beautiful about that I think.
























I remember from when I watched the gates the backlash these two had to go through with the public to get permission to put up their artwork… I don't think I could stand as firm as these two do through this entire battle… I found a little clip from Running Fence that has the same thing… The other thing that is crazy is THE TIME! I mean the footage from when they are getting these things in motion and dealing with all this craziness, to when they actually do the project the two of them have visually aged so much it's almost shocking...

No comments:

Post a Comment