Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Adventures In Knit Bombing...

This week, I took a step outside my comfort zone into the world of yarn/knit bombing.

I spent two weeks learning to knit and then creating enough fabric to do something with… then I set out to spread a little warmth in downtown Petersburg by putting up my creation.

Reflecting on the process, I had A LOT of fun learning to knit and found the knitting aspect of the project extremely meditative and enjoyable. The closer I got to completing my project, the more excited I got about putting it up.

However, I don't really think it set in until I went out to put it up that technically this sort of street art is still illegal, even if it is only soft fuzzy yarn. And more than ever I discovered through this process I just don't have the chops, or emotional courage to really be a true street artist.

I went out at night with my husband to put up the piece and was utterly terrified the entire time. My body started shaking so badly I couldn't hold onto the needle and it kept slipping from my fingers. (luckily I had anticipated this and knotted it onto the end of my string) Working as quickly as I could the piece was just so big it took me a good 20 mins to sew up the piece. When I got back in the car my body was shaking and my hands were still trembling. We got home and I just ended up sitting on the couch sort of traumatized by the experience. I had so much adrenaline that had pumped into my system I couldn't sleep all night.

This got me really thinking about things.

I contemplated the issue that perhaps I am just not as passionate about art as these other street artists… but after much self evaluation, I really don't think that is the case. I am more than willing to always stand up for what I believe, even if others are against me and I truly passionately love and believe in art.

I don't know what it is…

I drove back to where I hung the piece the next day to grab a picture during the daytime and tried to probe my feelings toward it again.

While there are aspects of it I found myself enjoying (mainly the idea of connection to a new place by putting my stamp on it in a way and giving it a gift of a personal warm embrace) there was still a part of me that felt queazy or sick to my stomach with anxiety…

I haven't really discovered an answer to what I'm feeling still… but it has been a fascinating personal learning experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment